Throughout history, women have been nourished, cared for, and supported in their deliveries by other women. In artistic representations of laboring women, she is depicted next to two women: the first is a midwife, responsible for the safe passage of the baby, as well as the health of the mother. The second woman by her side comforts the mother, addresses her fears and anxieties, and provides emotional support. Today’s doula is the embodiment of the second woman. She soothes, she mothers the mother.
Today, women who receive the emotional support from a trained doula during labor and birth experience significantly fewer birthing complications such as a decrease in cesarean rate by roughly 30% and a decrease in the use of narcotics and epidurals during labor.
As your birth doula, I’m happy to provide you with the following services:
- One free initial informational interview.
- 2+ prenatal sessions where we get to know each other better, and I can find out more about your birth preferences, hopes, and concerns for the birth.
- Assistance with planning and preparation for birth plans, provider talking points, and more.
- Availability by phone, email, and text starting the day we meet.
- On call 24/7 for 2 weeks leading up to your due date, until you deliver.
- Advocacy for mother and partner, before, during, and after birth.
- Continuous emotional physical support throughout the duration of your labor and for 1-2 hours post delivery.
- Birth photography
- Lactation support
- One + postpartum visit, 1-4 weeks after your delivery.
Support and services may also include:
- Birth plan consultation
- Massage during labor
- Visualization, breathing, and mindfulness techniques
- Aromatherapy through the use of essential oils
- Use of a birth ball
- Professional referrals
I provide a flexible package of care that enhances and supports this powerful life experience. I love working with partners, siblings, parents, grandparents, friends, and anyone else in your network of support.
I believe that each woman should be able to think and decide for herself what she wants for her labor and delivery, and I work with you and other members of the birth team to achieve these goals. I work with you as an individual, and recognize that the work we do together is based on comfort and trust. From here, we will work on techniques to actualize your resolutions in this transformative life experience.
I encourage you to reach out to set up an initial meeting – free of charge – to see if we’re a match.
“Women who have a doula are statistically more likely to feel less pain when a doula is present.” ~ Rebecca Dekker, PhD, RN, APRN